[wmii] Using tags to control applications

From: Yannick Delbecque <yannick.delbecque_AT_mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 23:27:21 -0400

Hi,

I've been using a small addition to wmiirc to have a small system to take
notes. Maybe some people here can be interested to use or extend it.

Basically, this adds two shortcuts : alt-n to take start a new note (here with
vim running in a term), alt-shift-n to open an old note using the menu. New
note names will end with the current tag, looking
like "2006-05-06-12:30:21_tag"

     $MODKEY-n)
     FILE=$(date +%F-%H:%M:%S)_$(wmiir read /view/name)
     x-terminal-emulator -title $FILE -e vim ~/data/Texte/Notes/$FILE &;;

     $MODKEY-Shift-n)
     FILE=$(ls ~/data/Texte/Notes/ | wmiimenu) &&
     x-terminal-emulator -title $FILE -e vim ~/data/Texte/Notes/$FILE &;;

I'm thinking of many other possibilities along the same lines: opening IRC
channels associated with a tag, having specific editors associated with tags,
opening a mail folder associated to a tag with mutt, etc.

Even if the idea is simple, I believe it could be interesting to explore
variations. I'm thinking in particular of using the fact that a client can
have many tags to control it somehow. An example, maybe very dumb: tag a
client like xine with "stop" to stop playback... This would be an example
separating the concept of tag from the concept of view.

--
Yannick Delbecque