[wmii] Re: snap: 20060705

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:07:26 +0200

On 7/6/06, Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 08:47:28PM +0400, Alexander Polakov wrote:
> >That's very fine, I like Plan9 but it has too few apps. But do you think
> you
> >can really achieve the goal? I think it's rather difficult with X. And you
> >mean I would be able to select "term" anywhere, click the mouse and see
> term?
> >And what about plumber? And if ever wm supports it, apps (gtk,qt,x) don't.
> >Btw is there any apps behaving like Plan9ish (meaning they're snarfable)?
> I think you misunderstand. The behavior of the WM and the apps distributed
> with it (wmiimenu) are to behave much like Plan 9. You'll be able to plumb
> the
> word term and deal with it as you wish. Other apps, aside from the plan9port
> ones, will not support Plan 9-ish behaviour, though you will (as you've been
> able to for some time) be able to select text in them and plumb it using
> wmiipsel.
>
> The point here, though, is to be able to snarf or plumb any text that the WM
> gives you, including window titles, tags, and status information (or, where
> appropriate, to edit it).

Actually, having a Plumb action in the tag bar would allow plumbing
even in apps that don't support it! all the Plumb action has to do is
plumb the current X selection, and any X apps that sets the current
selection will "just work". Of course this is not as convenient as
right clicking inside acme, but in practice it is not very different
from how plumbing works in rio windows.

By the way, if someone still doesn't know what plan9port is and where
to find it see
http://plan9.us

uriel