Re: [wmii] Fwd: [wmii-hackers] suckless.org - new primary domain, wmii.de, wmii.net, shortest.de and 10kloc.org going to be dropped

From: Sean Russell <wmii_AT_ser1.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:58:33 -0400

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 13:25, Nicholas Seckar wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > As far as I understand, wmii.de will expire next week and the
> > hundreds of links out there will break, just like all the hg repos
> > have been broken already, this whole mess is ridiculous and
> > idiotic, and worst of all, trivially avoidable.
>
> You're always free to buy wmii.de yourself... It's the OSS way, if
> you think something is broken then work to fix it; raging out rarely
> accomplishes anything.

Him buying it won't keep the links or mailing lists from breaking.  He'd
also need to clone the entire WMII website (probably including the wiki
setup), duplicate the mailing list software, and so on.  Or, get Anselm
to keep his servers configured to handle traffic to the WMII domain,
and make sure the WMII domain points at Anselm's servers.  All in all,
a major pain in the ass, and probably impossible to get right the first
time, which would mean things would still break.

It'd be easier to just send Anselm a check for $100 and register the
domain for another ten years; domains are cheap, and if they aren't,
you're with the wrong domain name registrar.

That said, I have no regard for people who spew vitriolic tirades about
stuff that they've been given for free, like self-entitled, spoiled
children.

Cheers,

--- SER