Re: [wmii] suckless.org - new primary domain, wmii.de, wmii.net, shortest.de and 10kloc.org going to be dropped

From: Sean Russell <wmii_AT_ser1.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:00:26 -0400

On Thursday 12 October 2006 04:43, Andy Gimblett wrote:
> > Him buying it won't keep the links or mailing lists from
> > breaking.  He'd also need to clone the entire WMII website
> > (probably including the wiki setup)
>
> Nah... Host it somewhere with Apache, and put an .htaccess file at
> the top level with a RedirectPermanent redirecting all page requests
> to http://suckless.org/ - easy. OK, the page references no longer go
> to exactly the right place, but at least you're on the right site.

... which is what I said. It won't keep the links from breaking. It
won't keep external, deep links from breaking. And the mailing list
will also be messed up.

Unfortunately, there's no simple fix for a domain going out of use. It
takes a lot of elbow grease and time to catch everything, and search
engines will have broken links for (relative) ages.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Anselm shouldn't do what he's doing; it is
his money, his domain, and his project. I'm just saying that Uriel's
basic observation, minus the childish insults and expletives, has
merit: there are non-trivial consequences to dropping wmii.de.

--- SER

Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.