Re: [wmii] patches for shared object libixp and Sun compiler

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:51:38 +0100

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:28:50 +0100 Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> I'm not sure if calling ld on Linux to link a .so will work.
Hm... on Solaris with the Sun compiler this works fine.
On Linux there's no error on "LD libixp.so" but I get a warning
on "LD ixpc":
    ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 0000000000400cc8
and running ixpc results in:
    bash: /usr/local/bin/ixpc: No such file or directory

But config.mk defaults to LD=${CC} and then there's no
problem. So there seems something missing, when using plain
ld. On Solaris I don't have a warning, but the executables
don't work correctly.
However, everything works fine, if I put an explicit "ld"
in the Makefile for libixp.so and leave LD=${CC} for the
executables (on Linux and Solaris!). So executables need
some defaults for linkage which are included when linking
via cc.

BTW, on Linux there has to be added some "runtime library
search path" option as well, as it is now, I have to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib before starting up wmii.
And I had to move -fPIC from SOFLAGS to CFLAGS due to this
error:
    ld: client.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
(regardless of using ld or cc for linking)

Regards,
Stefan