Re: [wmii] Snapshot release of 3.5 - Does not work!

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:16:45 +0100

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:45:49AM +0100, Vincent wrote:
> Denis,
>
> >Could you try to run a terminal without a wm on the X server, and
> >launch wmii/dwm from there?
> >
> > startx `which xterm`
> >
> >Does your system behave like that even without a wm? Does this
> >behaviour occur when you start the wm from the term?
>
> fvwm works fine. So obviously there is something wicked with dwm/wmii,
> though I can't see what. If I launch fvwm, exit and then launch dwm, the
> same behavior occur, that is to say after the first ALT-keypress, it bugs.

On difference which comes to my mind is, that dwm/wmii grab
shortcuts on the root window, whereas fvwm might grab shortcuts
(if it grabs any shortcuts, isn't it mouse-only?) on all
clients. There are chances that libXcb has problems with
grabbing shortcuts on the root window for whatever reasons.

Vincent, please recheck with a dwm version which don't grabs any
shortcuts through removing/uncommenting all shortcut definitions
in dwm-X.Y/config.h. Then launch dwm form a terminal with dwm &
and launch other terminals. Check if the mouse use works in such
cases.

Also please tell me if larswm works!

Another simple test would be if grabbing the whole keyboard
works on the root window, here please check if dmenu works from
fvwm ;)

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361