Re: [wmii] Composite support

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:43:30 +0100

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:19:02PM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> What do you think about the addition of _simple_ and _usable_ desktop
> effects to wmii? I don't think so much about animation, but rather on
> transparency effects for floating windows, or to make inactive frame a
> little bit darker to make spotting the current column/window easiser?

The only benefit I see in the composite extension is offscreen
buffering (pure X lacks of offscreen buffering, hence you can
track all drawing operations in the way X performs them (assumed
one don't uses offscreen buffers on its own for a specific
app)). But this can be done by xcompmgr already.

Another use might be indicating focus state using fading...
But this can be done by a separate app, so you don't have to
make the WM code dependent from an extension (which might not be
available on BSDs for example).

> a) supporting the XComposite extension is bad in general

No.

> c) have fear about the 10.000 LOCs?

10.000 LOC are too much for a window manager. wmii should not
exceed 3000 lines (excluding libixp).

> d) thinks it's a great idea?

Depends what you want to achieve.

Regards,