Re: [wmii] Composite support

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:44:09 +0100

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 12:05:02AM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:11:21PM +0100, Denis Grelich wrote:

> > > 10.000 LOC are too much for a window manager. wmii should not
> > > exceed 3000 lines (excluding libixp).
> >
> > That's what we'll aim for! :)
>
> Hmm, so dwm is 2000 lines, and wmii 3000 lines? what are the additional
> 1000 LOCs used for? Only for reading user config files at runtime?
> Wouldn't it make sense to have dwm totally minimal with 2000 LOCs, and
> wmii still lightweigth, but with more features?

Those 1000 will be necessary because of:
- acme-like tagbars
- column layout (which is much more complex due a more complex
  data structure than a simple list of clients)
- 9p interface

wmii and dwm are conceptually different window managers. dwm is
only intended to fit my personal needs (whereas wmii tries to
make the balancing to fill the gap between dynamic/tiling window
manager lovers and Uriel), which seems to be more mainstream.

> @xcompmgr: Apart from that it's not developed anymore, I never got it
> really working to have true alpha-blending support. Well, individual
> windows could be made transparent, but no rgba:/ color support for apps
> like urxvt, which could therefore use reall transparency for background
> but keep the text opaque and all without a stupid pseudo transparency
> hack. Only beryl/compiz supported that, but I don't like a composite
> manager, which is also a window manager :(

Actually I see much more need for a sane terminal than for some
nice effects. If such effects are of any use, they might be
added later. I think that using fading for focus state might be
useful and I agree to some ideas Tuomo Valkonen wrote in his
public diary some days/weeks ago as well, to use fading for
tool/dialog windows which don't need all attention at the moment
- at least this might be a nice idea for research and Apple
might adapt this idea faster than anyone else - I hope Tuomo has
patented such ideas already...

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361