Re: [wmii] Re: wmii feature requests

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:15:01 +0100

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 01:55:43PM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:23:22AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > xterm -e "ssh `myhosts | dmenu -b`"
>
> Oh so easy, cool idea.
> If the user presses esc, you would still execute a useless "xterm -e ssh",
> but that's not a big problem in this case.

The ideas I proposed are untested, because I don't use such
stuff in my personal work environment. Those samples should only
provide you an idea how dmenu can be used.

> Alt-p to show all programs
> run-ma<tab> -> run-mailcap
>
> now it would be nice to have a second completion mode where the user
> could at least complete filenames, or maybe arbitrarily things like in
> bash-completion.
>
> (Of course you could make another mapping for handling run-mailcap as in
> your example with ssh, but after a while you're running out of keys ;)

This has been discussed long ago several times and the answer
is simple: no.

The dmenu completion is designed to be faster/more efficient
than bash completion because it directly matches all candidates
without the need to press an additional <tab>. The <tab> key is
used to copy the selected item into the input field, it's not
used for matching. Usually <tab> is only pressed if you want to
append further arguments to the selected list item, otherwise
you simply press return (because that prints the selected item
to stdout). If you want to make sure, that you only want to
print the text you entered (assumed there are still item
candidates (e.g. matching gv), you can enforce this with
pressing Shift-Return.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361