Re: [wmii] GPL vs BSD

From: Suraj N. Kurapati <skurapat_AT_ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:39:53 -0800

Uriel wrote:
> Look up in a dictionary the meaning of the word "freedom" some time.
>
> BSD license is free as in freedom, GPL is not free.

It is true that the GPL does not bestow as much freedom+ upon the
first recipient as the BSD license does. However, under the GPL,
subsequent recipients are guaranteed the same freedoms* as the first
one. This is not necessarily the case with the BSD license, where
subsequent recipients may or may not receive the same freedoms* as
the first one.

We choose the GPL because we believe that subsequent recipients must
receive the same freedoms* as the very first one. Thus, like most
things in life, the choice of license is a trade-off:

(1) ensure maximum freedom for firsthand recipients?

or

(2) ensure constant, non-maximal freedom for all recipients?

We choose the latter. You are free to choose however you wish.

+ In the strict sense of the word:

  Freedom \Free"dom\ (fr[=e]"d[u^]m), n. [AS. fre['o]d[=o]m;
     fre['o]free + -dom. See Free, and -dom.]
     1. The state of being free; exemption from the power and
        control of another; liberty; independence.
        [1913 Webster]

* The four freedoms listed here:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html