Re: [wmii] [OT] pidgin buddy list

From: Sven Schober <sv3sch_AT_yahoo.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 23:01:53 +0200

Hi Matías,

On Thursday 06 September 2007 16:39, Matías Graña wrote:
> This is really off-topic, but hopefully someone in the list has some
> useful script for this:

I've got no script but a suggestion...

> I'm connected to IM's with pidgin and I have the window with buddies and
> their statuses in some view which is not the one I have active now.
> So I'd like to print in the wmii status bar the list of buddies which
> are online. Any help with this is appreciated.

I've had the same idea/problem, when i switched to wmii...

in the current mercurial tip of wmii the status bar text is rendered by a
shell function defined in /etx/X11/wmiirc (or any local override you might
have in your ~/.wmii-3.5 directory).

that shell function basically just puts out the filtered result the uptime
cmd. and date and is called once a second.

pidgin on the otherhand sends all its events out on dbus (if you version is
compiled with dbus enabled). you can monitor this using dbus-monitor. so you
might conjure up some solution using dbus monitor and the status shell
function...

> Thanks in advance,
> Matias

hope that helps a bit...