Re: [wmii] Opening windows without focus (Was: Several Questions)

From: Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:34:46 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 02:26:55PM +0900, Martin Swift wrote:
>I have this script that runs through a few videos and displays them in
>a small window in a corner of my screen so I can have it play in the
>background. Each time a new video starts, it takes focus from the
>application that I was working with. I'm frequently typing which can
>mess up the player.

Hmm... It's tricky. I'm not a huge fan of letting new windows
steal focus from me, but, at the same time, I want most apps
that I launch to take focus, so I've been toying with some ideas
of how to better handle focus. That said, a more immediate
answer to your question is: yes, but it's kludgy. There are a
few cases where wmii won't give focus to new windows. The most
immediately obvious case is that of splash windows. In the snap,
if you want to run a program which will open a window and not
steal focus, you can run something like:

% wihack -type splash app

and wmii will think that it's a splash window and, thus, float
it and not give it focus. The other ways are a bit trickier.

--
Kris Maglione
The one who snores will fall asleep first.