Re: [wmii] floating area no longer represented by ~

From: sqweek <sqweek_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:08:25 +0900

On Jan 31, 2008 7:22 AM, Kris Maglione <jg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:36:51PM -0800, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> >True, but it is an area nevertheless. And since
> >columns (managed areas) are also areas, I would argue
> >that it makes sense to number them as 0: floating,
> >1..n: managed.
>
> I still don't agree. It has different semantics than the other
> areas (i.e. it has no left/right, windows have their own widths,
> you can't toggle between columns, only between floating and
> managed...), and it was just confusing when it was called area
> 0.

 I'm with Kris here - I remember running into some wmii code (it may
well still be there) doing something stupid like adjust the width of
the floating area because there was a loop over areas which only made
sense to apply on columns. It obviously wasn't manifesting into a real
bug (I'd guess nothing actually looks at the floating area width
because it isn't a column) which is why I didn't touch it, but it's
not the sort of elegant design that inspires me, either.
-sqweek