Re: [wmii] Recent changes

From: Alex Kilgore <adkilgore_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:47:11 -0400

Kris Maglione wrote:
> Hi,

> what's going on with the latest changes to the tree. First of all,
> please report any bugs you find to the Google issue tracker. I'm least
> likely to lose track of them that way.
>
> To start with, I've replaced dmenu with ‘wimenu’. It's very similar in
> appearance and behavior, but has a few significant enhancements. The
> biggest user-noticable change is the addition of an input caret. Now,
> you can type entire command lines without fear of having to start from
> scratch when you spot a typo. Second, it not supports command history.
> The -h flag specifies a history file to load, and the -n flag, when
> present, causes the menu to write back at most n history items to the
> history file. Third, you no longer need (or even can) specify colors,
> fonts, or positioning on the commandline. All such settings are read
> directly from wmii's /ctl. The same now goes for wmii9menu, which has
> also had its flags reduced to single letters. I hope not to make many
> such backwards-incompatible changes in the future. The wimenu does, and
> wmii9menu should in the future, support Xinerama and XRandR. At the
> moment, it opens on the screen that holds the pointer, but that will
> change to the screen with the focused client.
>
> I've also added Xinerama support, which is now usable, and seems to be
> stable, but is far from complete. As some of you have noticed, there's
> no way to modify the bar on the secondary screen. There's also only
> limited support for managed mode on any but the first screen. You can
> move clients into a column with the mouse, and basic keyboard
> manipulation will work, but the rest is yet to come. Fullscreen mode
> should now work fairly well. A fullscreen client will take whichever
> screen most of its window initially resides on. Floating clients don't
> yet care much which screen they open on. They'll pick whichever clear
> region of the screen seems smallest. XRandR screen switching should also
> work. For the moment, once you add a screen, there's no way to get rid
> of it. If you remove a screen, wmii will move all of its managed clients
> off-screen, and there's basically no way to get them back until you
> re-add the screen. In the future, I intend for logical screens to be
> independent of Xinerama screens. So, you'll be able to place any logical
> screen onto any Xinerama screen, and you'll even be able to place
> several logical screens onto one physical screen (so, the top may have
> two columns, the bottom one, for instance). This should make it easier
> to keep your managed area in order without worrying about clients
> getting dumped willy-nilly when you remove a separate monitor. I may,
> after some use, decide that we do, afterall, need a way to specify a
> separate view for each logical screen, but we'll see.
>
> Comments welcome.

The latest changeset I can test in wmii is 2374,
for the later revisions I get

gcc-4.3.real: root.o: No such file or directory
gcc-4.3.real: screen.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [wmii.O] Error 1
make[1]: *** [dall] Error 2
make: *** [dall] Error 2
from gcc

I love the ideas though, I will test these out as soon as I get the
latest one up and running! =D

  Alex