[wmii] java apps stop receiving keyboard events

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 21:47:20 -0800

Java apps which use the Swing GUI toolkit suddenly stop receiving keyboard
events in wmii -- ever since wmii-3.6.

I noticed that this occurs whenever these apps open a modal window (like a
"File Open" dialog or "File Save" dialog). The modal window automatically
appears in the floating layer. Once I dismiss the modal window, the focus
returns to the main java app (which is in the managed layer) and the app no
longer responds to keystrokes. The app is not frozen -- I can still use
the mouse to click on buttons/menus.

I have been suffering with this problem for months (maybe a year?) now.
The only solution is to close the java app and start it up again ---
which is incredibly annoying. I always use wmii @ hg tip, hoping that
someday this problem would be fixed.

Any debugging tips would be appreciated: something (wmii?) is eating my
keyboard events and not letting them propagate to the java apps!

I am using this version of wmii:

> wmii -v
wmii-hg2427, (c)2008 Kris Maglione

Thanks for your consideration.