[wmii] Re: Adding cpu usage to status bar

From: Alexander Clouter <alex_AT_digriz.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 18:50:07 +0100

Jesús Gabriel y Galán <jgabrielygalan_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I was trying to modify the status bar to add cpu % usage. The easiest
> way I found (or so I thought) was this, which works in the command
> line:
>
> jesus_AT_localhost:~$ top -n 1 | awk 'NR==3 {print $2}'
> 1.9%us,

Eugh, that truly is horrible.

Have a look at /proc/stat and section 1.8 of
Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt in the Linux kernel tree.

To be honest, getting CPU 'usage' is pretty pointless as it's either
busy, idle or busy waiting on IO. You should be using loadavg really
as instantaneous CPU usage tells you nothing.

Regards

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: People humiliating a salami!