[wmii] [ANN] Python wmiirc and 9P library; alternative wmiircs

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:31:49 -0400

(If you're not interested in the Python implementation, please
read ahead to the next section)

Hi,

I've just committed a Python wmiirc, along with an FS
abstraction library (pygmi) and a 9P client library (pyxp). The
code is alpha quality, at the moment, but it seems stable
enough. The API is simple, and I doubt anyone with experience in
Python will have any trouble figuring it out.

As for the 9P library, you may be asking why I didn't just use
py9p. The answer is that I simply don't like it. Aside from the
ugly code, the implementation is just too low-level. pyxp on the
other hand, is based on straightforward message descriptions and
contains a high level client. I also suspect (though I haven't
benchmarked) that it's significantly faster.

   Alternative wmiircs:

I'm also interested in including other cannonical alternative
language wmiircs in the base distribution (and making separate
code snippets/plugin pages for each on the wiki), if anyone's
interested in writing them. I have the following conditions for
inclusion, which shouldn't be hard to meet:

     * Must be simple, concise, and elegant. Abstraction is good,
       but within limits. Ideally, one should be able to bind a
       key or action in a single line. Abstraction for filesystem
       objects is optional.

     * Must have a non-viral license. MIT would be ideal, but
       LGPL and similar will do.

     * Must have a native-language 9P client if possible. That
       means no bindings around libixp unless the language
       doesn't provide the means to craft a native
       implementation. For Lua, libixp bindings will be fine.

     * Must behave similarly to the stock wmiirc in its default
       configuration. This means the same key bindings, bar
       behavior, etc. Right-click menus and status monitors may
       may be changed at will, and extra features are certainly
       acceptable.

The languages I'm most interested in at the moment are:

     * Ruby (I've already chosen Rumai and its wmiirc)
     * Lua
     * Perl
     * C
     * D

I'm somewhat less interested in Java and PHP, but I'd probably
accept them if they were of acceptional quality. 9P
implementations exist for both of those languages.

--
Kris Maglione
Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with