Re: [wmii] Separate Wmii instances on Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead

From: Robert C Corsaro <rcorsaro_AT_optaros.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:57:55 -0400

Bryan Peters wrote:
> Not quite sure what i'm doing wrong here. I want 2 separate instances
> of wmii running on my dual monitor setup. I'm not concerned about
> dragging windows from screen to screen, but I am concerned with each x
> server being able to accept my mouse and keyboard commands.
>
> It seems no matter what I do, my Secondary screen on the right of me
> can interact fully with my mouse and keyboard, but the primary screen
> in front of me can only interact with the mouse. It will not accept
> any keyboard commands. And while the mouse can be dragged over to that
> screen, it will not click on 'nil'. Mod+P doesn't work on the primary
> screen to bring up dmenu, I can't open a terminal there, nothing.
>
> I've created an ~/.xinitrc file and placed the following in it:

[snip]

I have a similar setup here. I am using ruby-wmii and have these
bindings setup:

  binding("switch-screen-right", "MODKEY-Shift-comma") do |wmii|
    `bash -c 'DISPLAY=:0.0 swarp 1 1'`
  end
  binding("switch-screen-left", "MODKEY-Shift-period") do |wmii|
    `bash -c 'DISPLAY=:0.1 swarp 1 1'`
  end

You can do the same with whatever wmiirc you use. You will need swarp
installed. It still has some glitches that I haven't worked out. When
switching screens, the active window doesn't get the keyboard input
until I cycle (alt-j, alt-k). It's second nature to me now, but I wish
it worked. also, if you ever get stuck with keys going to the wrong
screen, click the menu bar and get a dialog to pop up, this seems to
force the keyboard input to redirect to the proper screen.