Re: [wmii] Separate Wmii instances on Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead

From: Christian G. Warden <cwarden_AT_xerus.org>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:29:30 -0700

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:15:56PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:12:37PM -0400, Bryan Peters wrote:
>> Not quite sure what i'm doing wrong here. I want 2 separate instances
>> of wmii running on my dual monitor setup. I'm not concerned about
>> dragging windows from screen to screen, but I am concerned with each x
>> server being able to accept my mouse and keyboard commands.
>>
>> It seems no matter what I do, my Secondary screen on the right of me
>> can interact fully with my mouse and keyboard, but the primary screen
>> in front of me can only interact with the mouse. It will not accept
>> any keyboard commands. And while the mouse can be dragged over to that
>> screen, it will not click on 'nil'. Mod+P doesn't work on the primary
>> screen to bring up dmenu, I can't open a terminal there, nothing.
>
> wmii supports Xinerama. Is there some reason you can't use it instead?
> There used to be some measures in place to ensure that two instances would
> cooperate, but since that setup doesn't get much use any more, they may
> have faded away a bit.

I tried upgrading my two-screen (no Xinerama) setup to hg a couple
days ago, and wmii would die when trying to start the second instance
on the second screen. I didn't have time to troubleshoot much, so I'm
stuck on my ancient version of wmii for now.

I haven't tried Xinerama yet, but not having separate tags per screen
is probably the biggest reason not to switch to Xinerama. Not being
able to change resolution of one of my screens (assuming Wikipedia is
correct about this) when switching from a monitor to a projector would
be another smaller annoyance.

Christian