[dev] Suckless Linux distro (was: "monsterwm - 700 SLOC dwm fork")

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 01:41:44 +0200

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:03:57 +0100
Manolo Martínez wrote:

> Genuinely curious: what's the suckless way to Linux then? Gentoo and
> Gentoo only?

I'm planning to setup desktop on Bifrost Linux (small statically linked
distro). First I need to figure out how to build static binaries (in
simplest way possible) using Pkgsrc in chroot.

Creating another package manager/port system is just pointless.
Tracking dependencies let say for building usable X.org is huge waste
of time - someone already did that. Pkgsrc has some quirks and
downsides, but in the end it is just big bag of makefiles (bsd make to
be specific).

Why chroot? There aren't really any alternatives:

(A) Polluting statically linked environment with libs and headers.
(B) Cross compilation on Linux is the last thing I would voluntary do.

On my personal wish-list (could be wish-list for year 2012) is creating
non-GNU Linux distribution. What is the point? Something like "XXX's
not GNU" would create hilarious acronym.

Another thing I would like to investigate is multiple libc
implementations usage. Currently main problem with non-glibc
distribution is lack of proprietary software. Compiling everything
against alternative libc implementation and providing glibc library let
say for Flash, would bring some p0rn.