Re: [dev] uzbl

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:06:00 +0200

On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:42:31 +0200
José Manuel Pavón Álvarez <chmeee_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422_AT_gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried out uzbl (http://uzbl.org)? Seems interesting, it
> > would be nice to replace firefox with this. I plan on installing it
> > on my gentoo system later today.
>
> Looks like the vimperator [1] idea. I am more happy since I use
> vimperator and wmii.
>
> [1] http://vimperator.org/trac/.
>
> Chema.

I have only spent little time with vimperator, but unless I'm missing
something vimperators idea is adding a vim-like interface to firefox
(and other mozilla software). AFAIK it does not change that
storage of your bookmarks, history etc is handled internally in
firefox, and that you end up with tens of files in your ~, many of
which are binary.

The idea behind uzbl is more about implementing the unix philosophy:
using external programs/scripts to take care of non-core-browser
aspects (think management of bookmarks and such), and using simple
plaintext based storage for your settings and data.
We also prefer keyboard based interaction over using mice (bindings can
be vim-like but also modeless, if you prefer), but that's just one of
the many aspects.
We may have (more or less) the keybinding ideas in common with
vimperator, but that's where it stops. (unless I'm mistaken about what
vimperator does).

Currently we have some (imho) important things still on the todo list:
- cookies
- multiple instance management (like tabs, but better. will use a
  script that uses a patched dmenu), for those who are not satisfied
  with the abilities of their WM.

That, and bugfixes/polishing up of course.

I would say the project looks interesting and I'm really looking
forward to start using it "for real", but obviously I'm biased since
I'm one of the people working on it.

Dieter