Re: [dev] uzbl -> design goals?

From: Sven Guckes <maillist-wmi-announce_AT_guckes.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:42:46 +0200

* Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> [2009-05-23 20:15]:
> I have only spent little time with vimperator, but unless
> I'm missing something vimperators idea is adding a vim-like
> interface to firefox (and other mozilla software).

yep.. and it makes firefox *extra* slow. :-(

> AFAIK it does not change that storage of your
> bookmarks, history etc is handled internally
> in firefox, and that you end up with tens of
> files in your ~, many of which are binary.

binary files are baaaaaaad (to parse).

> The idea behind uzbl is more about implementing the unix philosophy:
> using external programs/scripts to take care of non-core-browser
> aspects (think management of bookmarks and such), and using
> simple plaintext based storage for your settings and data.

text/plain rules! :)

> We also prefer keyboard based interaction over using
> mice (bindings can be vim-like but also modeless, if
> you prefer), but that's just one of the many aspects.

key-binding & optional modes ftw!

you want a command line! http://www.guckes.net/maow/

> Currently we have some (imho) important things still on the todo list:
> cookies, - multiple instance management (like tabs, but better.
> will use a script that uses a patched dmenu), for those
> who are not satisfied with the abilities of their WM.

sounds like "elinks" to me.

> That, and bugfixes/polishing up of course.

bugs are not a feature! right.

> I would say the project looks interesting and I'm really
> looking forward to start using it "for real", but obviously
> I'm biased since I'm one of the people working on it.

that's ok. but - what are your goals? www.uzbl.org/goals?

Sven [still using elinks+firefox]

--
Sven's Unix alphabet