Re: [dev] uzbl -> design goals?

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:35:55 +0200

On Sat, 23 May 2009 20:42:46 +0200
Sven Guckes <maillist-wmi-announce_AT_guckes.net> wrote:

> * Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> [2009-05-23 20:15]:
> > We may have (more or less) the keybinding ideas in
> > common with vimperator, but that's where it stops.
> > (unless I'm mistaken about what vimperator does).
>
> you want a command line! http://www.guckes.net/maow/

interesting read. I (and uzbl) can definitely relate to many things,
and I'll think about some concepts I didn't think of yet (such as your
pipe example)

> > Currently we have some (imho) important things still on the todo
> > list: cookies, - multiple instance management (like tabs, but
> > better. will use a script that uses a patched dmenu), for those
> > who are not satisfied with the abilities of their WM.
>
> sounds like "elinks" to me.

..but we don't mind using X and having fancy, non-purist webpages.

> > That, and bugfixes/polishing up of course.
>
> bugs are not a feature! right.
>
> > I would say the project looks interesting and I'm really
> > looking forward to start using it "for real", but obviously
> > I'm biased since I'm one of the people working on it.
>
> that's ok. but - what are your goals? www.uzbl.org/goals?

I think it all boils down to being in control.
Sure there's things like efficiency, speed, small code base,
customizability, plaintext formats etc, but I think these are all just
means to ultimately increase the level of control of a user over his
workspace and data.
But that's just my opinion.

> Sven [still using elinks+firefox]

Dieter