[dev] Re: last request for a dev-only list

From: Alexander Clouter <alex_AT_digriz.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:20:56 +0100

Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> P.S.: Perhaps having chat@ for random crap and relegating dev@ for
> only technical discussions would work, but often it is hard to know
> where to draw the line, and two lists with very low traffic are really
> a waste of time. Really given the insanely low traffic levels in this
> list I don't see why people complains so much, have you ever been
> subscribed to lkml or any other high volume list?

insanely low traffic != low signal/noise ratio

If that low volume of traffic just becomes a high source of noise, then
the quantity does not matter. People subscribe to information feeds
for...erm...well the information/signal...not the OT cruft.

I think XKCD were the first people to come up with a solution to this
problem[1].

Cheers

[1] http://blag.xkcd.com/2008/01/14/robot9000-and-xkcd-signal-attacking-noise-in-chat/

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Now, let's SEND OUT for QUICHE!!