Re: [dev] surf: web browser on archlinux

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:47:02 +0200

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Connor Smith<cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> The impression I get from Surf is that it, like uzbl, adheres to
> the Unix philosophy by "doing one thing" - it renders web pages. One of
> the problems that arises from having your bookmarks, passwords, etc all
> managed by a single monolithic program is that if you want to change
> any component of the browser, you have to change the entire program. On
> the other hand, if you were to use Surf as your web renderer, and then
> another separate program to manage your bookmarks, and then perhaps
> another to store your passwords,

This reminds me that it would be very cool if surf could use
factotum/secstore (
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/auth ) from p9p to
store and manage passwords.

It would, among other things, probably make surf the most secure browser around.

As for managing bookmarks, a text editor works just fine.

Also I was wondering if surf implements the traditional Unix text
editing keybindings: http://unix-kb.cat-v.org I *hate* when ff or any
other stupid browser closes the window/tab when I press ^W to *delete
the previous word* (as God meant it to do).

uriel