Re: OT: Re: [dev] mention suckless favorably in today's blog article A Quantum of Computing

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:09:15 +0200

On 7/18/09, hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:
> Our laws of quantum mechanics are not more or less absurd than any
> other natural law.

sure they are

most laws of nature are intuitive: they fit into the experiences one
encounters because.. well we live in this world

however quantum mechanics does not fit into the model how a human
experiences the world

it is not that an infinite dimensional hilbert space of quantum states
is more absurd than an euclidean space of classical mechanical
systems, or shcroedinger's equation is uglier than the newtonian laws
of motion (these are similar abstarct mathematical concepts)

the issue is that the human learning and sensor system is hardwired to
be good at certain things and not good at others, it is adjusted to
the scale, temperature, energy level,.. which is most important for
being alive, and it turns out quantum mechanics does not fit well into
this simplified world view

"For those who are not shocked when they first come across quantum
theory cannot possibly have understood it."
Bohr
"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."
Feynman