Re: [dev] dwm default bindings

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:23:17 -0700

On Jul 22, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Donald Allen wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Michael<misha_AT_netspark.org> wrote:
>> Donald Allen wrote:
>>> I realize that these bindings can be changed. But that requires some
>>> work (and knowledge of C) on the part of the user. I'm talking about
>>> the choice of the defaults. Perhaps the keys modified by alt should
>>> instead be modified by ctrl-alt by default? And similarly, alt-shift
>>> -> ctrl-alt-shift? I am going to test this idea by modifying my
>>> setup.
>>> I'll let you know how it works out.
>>
>> ctrl-alt, alt-shift, ctrl-shift non-english speaking people usually
>> use
>> those keys for layout change, win-key is perfect solution, but not
>> all
>> keyboards have those.
>> there is no default keys to satisfy even majority, i think, so why
>> bother, if majority will have to edit those keys anyway.
>
> I don't buy that argument. Why not pick the set of defaults that
> satisfies the largest minority?

It *is* the set of defaults that satisfies the majority. I think many
people change the setting to Mod2Mask to use the Windows key, but the
current default of Mod1Mask will work out of the box for anyone who
doesn't have a Windows/Apple/diamond key.

If the only modifier keys on your keyboard are CTRL and ALT, I suggest
mapping one ALT key to Mod1 and the other to Mod2. I've noticed that
I rarely use the modifier keys on the right-hand side anyway...