Re: [dev] Gmane newsgroup for the new mailing list

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:44:42 +0100

Hi there,

2009/7/25 Dmitry Maluka <dmitrymaluka_AT_gmail.com>:
> Hello! Since merging dwm and wmii lists were merged into this list,
> Gmane newsgroups are somewhat broken. Here is my conversation with
> Wolfgang Schnerring, one of Gmane admins, from gmane.discuss group.
>

>> From: Dmitry Maluka <dmitrymaluka <at> gmail.com>
>> Subject: Newsgroup for dev <at> suckless.org
>> Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
>> Date: 2009-07-24 19:53:12 GMT (16 hours and 11 minutes ago)
>> Hello!
>>
>> Some time ago maillists for dwm and wmii window managers
>> (dwm <at> suckless.org and wmii <at> suckless.org respectively) were merged into a
>> single list dev <at> suckless.org. Now gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii maps
>> into this new list, and gmane.comp.window-managers.dwm maps into the
>> obsolete dwm <at> suckless.org.
>>
>> Probably, the users that will try to find a newsgroup for dwm will be
>> confused finding an outdated group. Also, the dev <at> suckless.org list (in
>> past - the dwm <at> suckless.org list) contains messages not only on dwm
>> or wmii but on any suckless.org software development related topics.
>>
>> I think it is reasonable to rename gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii to
>> gmane.comp.suckless or similar, and create its "mirror" groups named
>> gmane.comp.window-managers.dwm and gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii. If
>> it is impossible, the group name should contain words "dwm" and "wmii".
>> For old lists, we can create gmane.comp.window-managers.dwm.old and
>> gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii.old.
>>

>> From: Wolfgang Schnerring <wosc+gmane <at> wosc.de>
>> Subject: Re: Newsgroup for dev <at> suckless.org
>> Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
>> Date: 2009-07-25 06:46:13 GMT (5 hours and 19 minutes ago)
>> Hello,
>>
>> * Dmitry Maluka <dmitrymaluka <at> gmail.com> [2009-07-24 21:53]:
>> > Probably, the users that will try to find a newsgroup for dwm will be
>> > confused finding an outdated group. Also, the dev <at> suckless.org list (in
>> > past - the dwm <at> suckless.org list) contains messages not only on dwm
>> > or wmii but on any suckless.org software development related topics.
>> >
>> > I think it is reasonable to rename gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii to
>> > gmane.comp.suckless or similar, and create its "mirror" groups named
>> > gmane.comp.window-managers.dwm and gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii. If
>> > it is impossible, the group name should contain words "dwm" and "wmii".
>>
>> Unfortunately, renaming groups is not possible because of technical
>> difficulties. (We can do a delete/re-add, but that of course loses the
>> messages in the deleted group.)
>> Also, a group can have only one name, not multiple ones.
>>
>> So if the dev <at> suckless.org list is about both window managers wmii and
>> dwm, well, I guess we could delete both g.c.w-m.dwm and .wmii and create
>> a group gmane.comp.window-managers.wmii-dwm instead to carry
>> dev <at> suckless.org. (If you want the old messages to be present on Gmane,
>> you'll have to help us do a bulk-import, see
>> http://gmane.org/import.php)
> [...]

Thanks for pointing out this problem and here is what I'd propose
instead, slightly different though. Instead of having g.c.w-m.dwm-wmii
I'm in favor for moving the whole dev list archive to

gmane.comp.misc.suckless

instead. This list is not only about dwm and wmii, but also about all
other kind of stuff related to suckless.org, ie. dmenu, st, dws,
libixp, new upcoming libraries, surf, potentially an updated 9base to
name just a few.

I think the existing dwm and wmii archives should be removed or
redirect to the new group, if possible, just to avoid any confusion.

I'll check that import URL and check with anydot, if we can provide
the requested archive format.

Kind regards,
Anselm