Re: [dev] Thanks for your anwsers and how do you want your text editor ?

From: Jessta <jessta_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:01:38 +1000

On 24/09/2009, QUINTIN Guillaume <coincoin169g_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Does YALSE have to support
>
> => a plugin system ? extensions ? scripting language (LUA ?) ? (so one
> can embed a terminal within YALSE)

No, it's a text editor. It edits text.

> => syntax highlighting ?
Sure, makes sense. But should be external from the editor in some way.

> => tabs ? many buffers ?
nope, want multiple tabs then open multiple instances

> => only basic features : cut, copy, paste, search, replace, inserting
> other text files ?
> => block selection ?
> => an (optional ?) GUI ?
> => ASCII only ? or UTF-8? and all? or many? character encodings ?

> => several modes like vi ? or like EMACS ? or an hybrid ? or like
> another editor ? vile ? nano ? (maybe the troll-able part)

I've always hated mode editors, I don't use vi because I end up
constantly typing in command mode and getting myself in to trouble.

> => costumizable shortcuts ?
Yeah, dwm style

> => ncurses ?
> => strictly nothing ?
> => a limited number of LOC ?
> => others libs ?
Ncurses is pretty sucky, so I vote it not to be a console application.

> A good start could be the basic features : cut, copy, paste, search,
> replace, inserting other text files plus block selection and only one
> file at a time ?

Yeah, best to start with the nescessary features and try not to add more.
I liked the idea of Acme when I heard about it and some smart people
use it, but I've never been able to work out how to use it so that it
doesn't feel cumbersome.and clunky, I'm sure I must be missing
something.

- jessta

--
http://jessta.id.au