Re: [dev] Thanks for your anwsers and how do you want your text editor ?

From: Dmitry Maluka <dmitrymaluka_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:19:51 +0300

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:01:38AM +1000, Jessta wrote:
> On 24/09/2009, QUINTIN Guillaume <coincoin169g_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does YALSE have to support
> >
> > => a plugin system ? extensions ? scripting language (LUA ?) ? (so one
> > can embed a terminal within YALSE)
>
> No, it's a text editor. It edits text.

It's easy to think like that, but let's think about: what is text
editing in itself? What if it's just managing characters on the screen,
for various purposes?
The Emacs principle "Everything is text" seems to be very reasonable.

(I know very little about Emacs, actually I never used it. It seems to
be very bloated but that's about an implementation, not an idea.)

About scripting: I think a useful text editor needs it. I can't live
without filetype detection, autoindenting, advanced navigation etc etc.
To keep the editor core simple and suckless, we need extensions support.
Text editing is a much more complex and unpredictable area than e.g.
managing windows or mails.