Re: [dev][surf] Next schedule?

From: Julien Steinhauser <Julien.Steinhauser_AT_orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:46:52 +0200

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:46:05PM +0200, markus schnalke wrote:
> [2009-09-17 10:48] stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
> >
> > I used to depend heavily on sessions and especially tabs. I started using
> > them in a non-tiling WM and was attracted by the lower memory consumption.
> > I even hacked couple of ugly scripts for loading and saving sessions in
> > w3m+screen. I misused tabs and sessions for bookmarking and TODO related
> > stuff, until I asked myself one day how would it be without them, and
> > found that there is life beyond tabs and sessions -- as it often happens
> > with fancy features. (which I surely don't need to tell to any
> > ex-wmii-now-dwm user, for instance)
>
> I know, I'm a bit late to reply ... but, thanks for this insight.
>

> meillo

To manage bookmark, I use mini scripts such as these :

bookmarkurl

#!/bin/sh
#to add a tag just tab once when dmenu displays the url and write tag.
file=~/.surf/bookmarks
surfid=`cat ~/.surf/id`
echo -e `xprop -id $surfid | grep URL | awk '{print $3}' | sed 's/\"/\ /g' | dmenu` \n >> $file

this one acts like the above one when the current url is clipped
with ctrl-y :

#!/bin/sh
#to add a tag, press tab, then space and write tag
file=~/.surf/bookmarks
echo -e `sselp | dmenu` \n >> $file

loadtaggedbookmark,

#!/bin/sh
#just launch it with a tag as argument and it will only display
#bookmark with this tag.
#dmenu with vertical patch from fresch on archlinux forum, if you use the one
#from meillo, the -xs option won't be availlable
url=`cat ~/.surf/bookmarks | grep $1 | sed 's/.$//' | dmenu -i -b -xs -l 10 | awk '{print $1}'`
xprop -id `cat ~/.surf/id` -f _SURF_URL 8s -set _SURF_URL $url

and loadbookmark which is the same as above without
the grep part and without argument.

With such little scripts, tabs behavior can also basicly
(very basicly) be emulated.

If I had found a way to write a script to let xprop, dmenu and dwm
play together, I'd have several surf windows fullscreened on a view,
a script that list them all in vertical dmenu, and (the problem)
send a message to dwm to make it focus dmenu outputted client.

Surf is incredibly fast, with flash and java disabled even more,
so the little scripts on this mail are sufficient for my usage.

Many thanks to all suckless dev's and contributors, I've nice
time with your softs and tools.