Re: [dev] Trouble building wmii on cygwin

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 11:06:16 -0700

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Robert Latest <boblatest_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:
> But at work I'm sadly forced to use a Windows PC, but to do real work
> I've installed a Cygwin environment.

I had the same problem at work, but thankfully they gave me a second
desktop on which I installed Ubuntu Linux. I run wmii on the Ubuntu
machine and use the `rdesktop` program to essentially "VNC" into to my
Windows machine.

If your workplace won't give you a second machine, I would recommend:

* make friends with someone in IT to give you a static IP and
  "look the other way" about you having a non-Windows machine ;-)
* bring in an old desktop / laptop or buy a cheap netbook
* install your favorite OS that is capabale of running wmii
* connect your Windows machine's monitor to your wmii machine
* `rdesktop` from wmii into your Windows machine (which is now headless)

Finally, enjoy blissful wmii productivity!

Cheers.