Re: [dev] Suckless mail client solution?

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:54:06 +0200

[2009-10-06 21:26] Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
> markus schnalke dixit (2009-10-06, 20:54):
> >
> > I switched to nmh just these days and I'm greatly impressed. It gives this
> > feeling that you know from using Unix. But you need to do a lot of stuff by
> > hand. (OTOH you can!)
>
> /me envies somewhat. Been planning to take the plunge and switch over
> from mutt, but there's just too much in my config file that I depend on
> and won't have time of reworking in mh in foreseeable future.

Don't depend so much on your personalized stuff. Just switch! ;-)

I had this plan for quite a long time and always pushed it forward but
did not switch. Now a nice guy gave me a hit on the topic, and finally I
just did it. (In less than a week.)

It wasn't such a big thing, acutally, cause I already used the MH
mailbox format. Hence I still can use mutt in parallel, if necessary.

> > Mounting remote mail boxes into your local file system seems to be the right
> > thing. Then there is no local--remote difference. (This kind of thinking is
> > what I learned from Plan9.)
>
> That's another solution. However this would require a good filesystem
> with local caching and graceful disconnection handling. I think syncing
> over SSH is at the moment simpler and good enough.

I prefer to work remotely to avoid all that stuff. But this requires an
own server of course.

Syncing file systems is a problem if you want to use mail servers that
don't belong to you (e.g. free mailers). I think this was the setup of
interest: Several computers and a free mail account.

meillo