Re: [dev] Alternative for tabbing in web-browsers?

From: Steven Blatchford <dollarsignfoo_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:01:59 -0400

On 17:11 Wed 07 Oct, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>On 10/7/09, Илья Илембитов <ilembitov_AT_yandex.ru> wrote:
>> A suggestion was made to revisit a bookmarking system. I was thinking about
>> it and here is my suggestion: what if basically do not just bookmark pages?
>
>imho the main issue is the ease of use (ie adding/retrieving/removing
>links easily), downloading the entire site or just keeping a link is a
>secondary question
>
>adding links to a list can be made easy (eg a single middle click),
>but recalling which url meant what is not that easy (with tabs the
>list is already visible, with favicons and title +one can remember the
>position of a link in the list)
>
>> 1. one page opened, all others stored to disk
>
>yes, but the question is how do you manage those links
>they will have obscure name, no context or tags

vimperator handles this with 'buffers'. Pressing 'b' gives a list like:

1: BashGuide - Greg's Wiki # http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
2: UsingFind - Greg's Wiki # http://mywiki.wooledge.org/UsingFind#Searching_based_on_times
3: Arch Linux Forums / Post your .vimrc # http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=62748
4: dotfiles/.vimrc - rsontech.net # http://rsontech.net/dotfiles/.vimrc
5: Google Calendar # http://www.google.com/calendar/render?hl=en&tab=wc
6: dotfiles/.fonts.conf - rsontech.net # http://rsontech.net/dotfiles/.fonts.conf
7: create group vim color - Google Search # http://www.google.ca/search?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&as_qdr=y&q=create%20group%20vim%20color

Minus the favicons, could be accomplished with dmenu?