Re: [dev] Alternative for tabbing in web-browsers?

From: Julien Steinhauser <Julien.Steinhauser_AT_orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:05:16 +0200

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:13:38AM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:

> On 10/7/09, Julien Steinhauser <Julien.Steinhauser_AT_orange.fr> wrote:
> > On surf, ctrl-y, echo -e `sselp | dmenu` >> $file bound to a key binding,
> > and you can tag it as you like, retrieving is just as so easy, just load
> no no
> you don't want to tag
> that's the point
> one can get reasonable work flow out of tabs *without*
> tagging/labelling/.. because similar tabs are close and there are
> icons, one does not forget a tab because it's visible,..
>
> your approach might work, but it's still more cumbersome than keeping
> lots of tabs around

Ok, I see you like tabs, if it was my case, I would still be using vimperator
or uzbl tabbed, at the moment I use surf.

On this thread are discussed alternatives to tab for browsing.
dmenu is a good tool and could be considered to do the job.

On a sooner post, you said that at least url and title should
be remembered, with a simple script, dmenu does it finger in the nose.

I don't have a solution wether urllist should be kept in a file or html
pages stored in a directory or whatever, all I know is that a clean list
with url or title or both displayed in a vertical dmenu speaks faster to me
than a few squarred millimeters icon with a truncated
(because of lack of space) string.

If I had to choose between tabs and several instances with a wm interaction,
I'd choose the latest, despite the problematic raised by Jake Todd
(giving the focus to the right instance of a browser) isn't solved
yet on dwm (or I'm not aware of how to do it).