Re: [dev] Alternative for tabbing in web-browsers?

From: Jacob Todd <jaketodd422_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:57:11 +0000

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 10:30:01AM +0200, Julien Steinhauser wrote:
> Furthermore, it already gives tools to do part of the job, lsw or xwininfo
> can provide a list of clients, dmenu can select them.
lsw is enough, it's what I'm using right now in the script.

> The tool could be dwm specific as a lot of others WM can already interact
> with wmctrl and don't really need something new (except if you want it).
That seems reasonable. I haven't heard of many non-dwm/wmii users using surf,
so we don't have to worry about them until they start complaining.

> dwm focuses new client.
> Should your tool trick dwm, making it believe, that the client selected
> (through a list as the desired client isn't visible to be selected with
> the keyboard or the mouse) has "disappeared" from the X client list,
> and then makes it "reappear" as a new one?
I think we need to look at focusstack, setclientstate, and windowtoclient in
dwm.c.

> Or a tool which gets informations direct from dwm client list, translate it
> into a human readable list and give focus to a selected client?
lsw to get the window name, then maybe some function in config.h that lets other
tools see the client number (not sure exactly how dwm 'marks' clients and then
have the tool move the stack.

This would probably be easier in wmii because of the 9P filesystem and
being able to change things with that. I'll take a look at it later.

--
Jake Todd
// If it isn't broke, tweak it!