Re: [dev] Suckless mail client solution?

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:18:52 +0200

[2009-10-15 21:47] stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de

> Well, I can't tell which view is more useful in mutt -- threaded or
> timeline. Which is proved by the fact that I have changed couple of times
> in the past the default view from one to another, and switched views at
> least once a day anyway. Which proves for me that they are equally useful
> for different tasks: [...]

IMO threads are very useful for mailing lists. (With nmh, I really miss
them there.)

The inbox, in contrast, is best sorted by time, I think.

> In summary: I would love a less sucking alternative to existing mail
> clients, in nmh style, i.e. a collection of tools to handle different
> aspects of the mail processing and to delegate non-mail tasks to $EDITOR,
> grep, whatever. But there are some features I consider crucial, e.g.
> decent unicode support

Would it be so much work to add it to nmh?

> and threaded/timeline view.

One only needs to write a single program to have threaded viewing in
nmh. For next-in-thread some minor changed in existing programs would be
neccesary.

> IMHO it doesn't make sense to cut things which serve you good tens of times
> every day.

It's not about cutting out stuff, but switching to the Unix style. ;-)

meillo