Re: [dev] [surf] next release

From: Tadeusz Sośnierz <tadzikes_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:28:49 +0200

On 21-10-2009 11:19:42, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> 2009/10/21 pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>:
> > I dunno, but dmenu lacks edition/pasting, the only reason i can imagine
> > to use dmenu is to autocomplete from bookmarked or visited urls. I didn't
> > tried it yet, but I'm curious about if its better or worse way to enter
> > urls.
>
> I think it's a good decision to use dmenu. This allows automatically
> caching the url entered and present it the next time.
> If this decision remains stable in surf, I'm willing to accept the
> vertical menu patch in vanilla dmenu.

Well, in 0.2, using GtkEntry it was alredy working like this: while
visiting surf.suckless.org, pressing C-g you had
'http://surf.suckless.org' in the entry field, ready to
copy/paste/edit/whatever. Of course you can use dmenu to keep the cache
of more than one url, but I'm sure it can be also done via
GtkEntryCompletion or how is it called. Also, I doubt if piping this
urls from surf to dmenu and vice versa will be even faster and lighter
than GtkEntry. Atm I don't see one reason to use dmenu this way.

What is more, the searchbar. In 0.2, you opened it, typed 'surf',
pressed enter, but the 'surf' remained there, so you just pressed enter
once again, no need to open a search bar and type it once again.

Still if there are really some good reasons for using dmenu instead of
GtkEntry, I'd likely hear them.

Regards,
Ted