Re: [dev] [dmenu] Putting key combinations in config.h

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:13:20 +0200

[2009-10-21 14:48] Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Colin Shea wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can we put the various keybindings used in dmenu
> > in config.h rather than dmenu.c?

> > But more
> > generally most other suckless apps have the keybindings in config.h, so why
> > not dmenu?

> > As I stated, it would be better than a parameter passed to dmenu on the command line.

> 1. I'm glad we agree on the config.h vs. argument-from-commandline vs. dmenu.c question.

Do we really agree? At least, I do not, and I hope you don't also when
you read this mail.

Dwm is a very personal program which everyone tailors to his needs.
Here configurable shortcuts are of much value and do not conflict much
with other users/different systems.

Dmenu, on the other hand, is a quite generic program which sould be the
same everywhere. If people start configuring the key strokes, one needs
different dmenus for different users on one system. Also, one may not be
able to use dmenu on a different machine. That's to avoid, for sure.

Configuring dmenu's look is one thing, but changing it's behavior is
another. I do recommend *not* to change the behavior. Thus don't put
such options to config.h.

If you *really* need to configure the key strokes, then do it in a way
that preserves the standard behavior. Using command line parameters for
it would be an example. But better don't do it at all.

Have you adjusted the key strokes of e.g. w3m? You may get a bit more
produktivity then ... but you'll lose all of it and more when you are on
another machine. Hence, you better learn the standard configuration and
don't depend on your machine.

Dmenu should be seen like grep or sed -- a standard tool that works the
same everywhere.

Please think about it.

meillo