Re: [dev] [dmenu] Putting key combinations in config.h

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:33:46 +0200

markus schnalke dixit (2009-10-21, 23:13):

> [2009-10-21 14:48] Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Colin Shea wrote:
> > > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Can we put the various keybindings used in dmenu
> > > in config.h rather than dmenu.c?
>
> > > But more
> > > generally most other suckless apps have the keybindings in config.h, so why
> > > not dmenu?
>
> > > As I stated, it would be better than a parameter passed to dmenu on the command line.
>
> > 1. I'm glad we agree on the config.h vs. argument-from-commandline vs. dmenu.c question.
>
> Do we really agree? At least, I do not, and I hope you don't also when
> you read this mail.
>
> Dwm is a very personal program which everyone tailors to his needs.
> Here configurable shortcuts are of much value and do not conflict much
> with other users/different systems.
>
> Dmenu, on the other hand, is a quite generic program which sould be the
> same everywhere. If people start configuring the key strokes, one needs
> different dmenus for different users on one system. Also, one may not be
> able to use dmenu on a different machine. That's to avoid, for sure.
>
> Configuring dmenu's look is one thing, but changing it's behavior is
> another. I do recommend *not* to change the behavior. Thus don't put
> such options to config.h.
>
> If you *really* need to configure the key strokes, then do it in a way
> that preserves the standard behavior. Using command line parameters for
> it would be an example. But better don't do it at all.
>
> Have you adjusted the key strokes of e.g. w3m? You may get a bit more
> produktivity then ... but you'll lose all of it and more when you are on
> another machine. Hence, you better learn the standard configuration and
> don't depend on your machine.
>
> Dmenu should be seen like grep or sed -- a standard tool that works the
> same everywhere.
>
> Please think about it.

I agree. My main argument would be, that one usually runs a single
instance of dwm per session (or sometimes more when on multiple
displays, but still it's a pretty static situation). But then in that
session that user may be launching dmenu multiple times for totally
unrelated purposes for which different colors and key shortcuts might be
suitable (important for visual identification, too). So there could be
defaults in config.h, but commandline switches have to stay.

Of course, this would not go in tune with the suckless paranoia
(doubling functionality, Jesus Christ!!!), so I suppose it should stay
as it is :).

Best,

--
[a]