Re: [dev] [surf] next release

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:20:44 +0200

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>
> > 2009/10/21 Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>:
> >> Surf should *not* handle downloads or display source, this are
> >> clearly and obviously best handled by external tools and there is
> >> zero reason for them to be part of any browser.
> >
> > I disagree with downloads, because several stuff can't be download
> > without dealing with a valid session and it is a pain to download
> > stuff that requires session info using wget.
> >
> > I have no strong feeling about source viewing, doesn't need to be
> > build-in, but since it's already implemented by webkit the source
> > viewing and profiling info of WebKit might be worth being made
> > accessible through surf, it'll help those who have to debug some web
> > stuff from time to time or that are masochists about analysing JS
> > and overall download performance similar to firebug. Usually no
> > external tool can provide this information correctly.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Anselm
> >

> I agree with Anselm. An in-suff download solution is needed for
> precisely the reason he gives.
>
> Peter

what consitutes a "session" ? it's something that is maintained
serverside and the only way to "stay in it" is usually one or more of:
- keeping and sending cookie data
- keeping the same ip (and maybe user agent)
- requesting the urls they tell you to

afaik both curl and wget can use existing cookie storages on your hard
disk (and can use the useragent you tell them to), so don't really see
the problem.

Dieter