Re: [dev] [surf] next release

From: Charlie Kester <corky1951_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:09:25 -0700

On Thu 22 Oct 2009 at 05:20:44 PDT Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

>what consitutes a "session" ? it's something that is maintained
>serverside and the only way to "stay in it" is usually one or more of:
>- keeping and sending cookie data
>- keeping the same ip (and maybe user agent)
>- requesting the urls they tell you to
>
>afaik both curl and wget can use existing cookie storages on your hard
>disk (and can use the useragent you tell them to), so don't really see
>the problem.

It seems to me that the problems being discussed in this subthread arise
because the "browser" combines two very distinct concerns:

- managing the http traffic to and from the website, which includes the
   administrative details pertaining to the session

- rendering the documents obtained from the website

Perhaps we should be thinking about separating them?