Re: [dev] content vs navigation in the web ( was Screenshot or copy of previous suckless.org website) design

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:57:07 +0100

* Samuel Baldwin <recursive.forest_AT_gmail.com> [2009-11-06 13:05]:
> 2009/11/5 Jacob Todd <jaketodd422_AT_gmail.com>:
> > You have got to be shitting me.
>
> The whole double bar part is a tad odd, and in my opinion it is a bit
> ugly, but it's pretty dang usable. I still maintain that the
> fullscreen grey one from earlier was the easiest; simple
> straightforward hierarchical organisation and easy to read
> text/colours.

Both make assumptions on screen size and css processing available in the
client.

Both list navigation part before content when no css available: try

        % lynx logik.li/euler

or think about embedded devices (zoom in with your css enabled browser
until you get the right 1/3 of the screen filled with the navigation bar,
the left 2/3 empty, and you need to scroll 4 pages down to read what euler
is about).

My problem with that is that I don't see why navigation should be
considered more important than content. I want to know what that euler is
about, not how to get to the other projects you have, not to get some
quotes shown, or whatever... Hey, the *way* is not the *goal*! You navigate
only to get to the content!

IMO, navigation should take as less real estate as possible, and if
possible should appear *after* content.

With css on, IMO current suckless.org sucks less than logic.li (e.g. with
very small screen size).

But I'm aware that this is extremely fine tuning compared to all the
problems we have in the web jungle with monsters like flash... And logik.li
looks really good in a css enabled browser, like suckless.org does.

cheers

--
 stanio_