Re: [dev] Local vs global variables

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 12:52:02 -0500

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 06:44:09PM +0100, QUINTIN Guillaume wrote:
>Why do you say that he is a fundamentalist ? Do you mean that he is right ?

Of course I don't. In my vocabulary, fundamentalism can only
ever be "right" in the sense of the Religious Right (on which,
don't get me started). I mean that he's apparantly the kind of
person who clings to ridiculous dogmas, in all liklihood without
understanding them. Those are the kinds of people who say,
Dijkstra sayeth we must not use goto, so we musnt! If you have
good reason not to use global variables, then don't. If you
don't understand why globals can be a bad software engineering
practice, and you just shun them for the sake of propriety,
well, then, go learn Java or something; you'll fit right in.

--
Kris Maglione
Every program has (at least) two purposes: the one for which it was