Re: [dev] [OT] [OT]: Go programming language

From: Dmitry Maluka <dmitrymaluka_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:45:06 +0200

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 03:47:46AM +0000, Aled Gest wrote:
> I totally agree that the C pre-processor sucks. It's ill thought out
> and needs replacing.

Any proposals?

> However, going back to what you were saying about
> you being able to subdue Lisp's syntax with macros, any language that
> requires macros to hide its syntax is poorly designed.

Please don't say a language is poorly designed if you don't know that
language.

> Macros are there to aid programming.

They are so in Lisp.

> You shouldn't need to create a new language
> out of macros to get the job done, otherwise you might as well just
> use another language in the first place.

The problem is that no language can anticipate any your need. And then
you are forced to go and write ugly C macros or something similar.

> Are you denying that Lisp's primary concept is that it treats
> everything as a list?

Yes. Bad books on programming treat Lisp as a "functional programming
language with list as the only data structure" but it isn't.

Its primary concept is the transparency of the program's abstract
syntax tree (due to the syntax simplicity).