Re: [dev] [OT]: Go programming language

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:10:00 +0000

After having looked into Go quite a bit my conclusion is that C is
still the language of choice for my/our projects.

I want to carry on with my goals such as stali, cleaned up dwm and st
(which is still on the backburner) in C.

I don't want to get involved too much into some new language that
looks outstanding at first glance, but that has some way to go still
to be a viable alternative. I guess it'll take at least a year to
attempt a judgment about Go.

For dwm I plan to have the drawing bits and Xlib bits abstracted into
separate files using some new header that will make it simple to
implement the rendering on top of xft/pango/cairo or whatever a while
ago, though keeping the reference implementation plain good old Xlib
based. Once that's finished (which shouldn't take too long and which
has the nice side-effect that dmenu can use the same interface) I will
do Go bindings to these minimalist interfaces and play with Go a bit
to write a dwm-like WM in Go as an excercise. That might result in
some more insight and better judgement.

Cheers,
Anselm