Re: [dev] [OT]: Go programming language

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:50:06 -0500

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 04:33:06PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
>Next you will tell me that because I said OO is evil, I must be
>against function pointers. Go has no inheritance, and that is
>basically the root of all OO evil (and inheritance is in mainstream
>programming considered the defining characteristic of any OO
>language.)

Actually I made up the term "object-oriented", and I can tell you I
did not have C++ in mind.
        --Alan Kay

>C was never perfect, starting with the abomination that is the
>preprocessor. I have been saying for years that it makes little sense
>to write user space code in C when you can use Limbo, Go is a better
>limbo that also happens to be closer to C as a systems programming
>language.

Limbo comes with too much baggage, namely a small OS that
doesn't even run on x86_64 in 64bit mode. Aside from that, it
doesn't run on bare hardware and so is orders of magnitude slowe
than C.

>C always was, still is, and always will be, infinitely better than Java or C++.

Amen.

--
Kris Maglione
Are you quite sure that all those bells and whistles, all those