Re: [dev] [OFFTOPIC] Recommended meta-build system

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:30:34 +0100

* Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us> [2010-02-01 14:09]:
> On 1 February 2010 12:52, <jonathan.slark_AT_talktalk.net> wrote:
> >> People are retards that should get a life,
> >> [...]
> >> shortcuts are part of the UI which should be sane and consistent.
> >
> > This is my PC and I decide what colours are used.
> like nearly no one changes the look of the vacuum cleaner once bought,
> or of your micro wave, or of your iron board, or nearly no one
> repaints the case of a TV.

When I am looking at terminal most of the day, it does matter whether its
color is gentle to my eyes, or they get tired after 2 hours. And if non of the
standard configurations does, I appreciate when I'm able to to set it to
what I feel is gentle.

Even when buying a vacuum cleaner you have preferences. You have to go for
specific model rather than configuring one yourself, which is a bit like
precompiled stuff you'll never be able to make clean && make the way you
like.

In software you have all the freedom to make things modular and still
maintainable and sane, that's the difference.

In hardware you don't. Especially in 'hype' segments, where marketing
experts rule: Actually they don't want! Ever seen a suckless car, or
mobile phone?

--
 stanio_