Re: [dev] GSoC 2010

From: Chris Palmer <chris_AT_noncombatant.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:10:29 -0800

Kurt H Maier writes:

> it's not my fault you're bad at organizing your data

Please tell us about your data organization scheme, such that you can find
anything you have -- email, PDFs, Postscript, music, text files, HTML files,
et c. -- in the same amount of time a Google, Google Desktop, Spotlight, or
Windows Search query takes. If you have never used any of those systems,
I'll tell you: the amount of time is about 1/10th of a second.

> if you think you need a 'desktop text indexing system', chances are you
> are doing something wrong

Having too much data? So rm is your search system?

> if you could actually write simple awk scripts you wouldn't need a
> 'desktop text indexing system'

I think you've had a few too many PCP-spiked Coors Lites.