Re: [dev] GSoC 2010

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:15:58 -0500

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Chris Palmer <chris_AT_noncombatant.org> wrote:
> Please tell us about your data organization scheme, such that you can find
> anything you have -- email, PDFs, Postscript, music, text files, HTML files,
> et c. -- in the same amount of time a Google, Google Desktop, Spotlight, or
> Windows Search query takes. If you have never used any of those systems,
> I'll tell you: the amount of time is about 1/10th of a second.

you've misstated the problem. I almost never need to find information
without having any clue where it is. if I need something from a PDF,
it's probably with all my other PDFs. if I need something from email,
it's probably in a maildir. with this powerful indexing system, I
don't have to grep my whole hard drive to find granny's phone number.
if it came in an email, then I can cd to maildir and grep -r. if it
for some reason is in a pdf, well, grep works on binary data too!
like some kind of miracle, this 'remembering where you put shit'
technology is available for free, and it's cross-platform!1

> Having too much data? So rm is your search system?

see above re: advanced 'not being a moron' techniques

> I think you've had a few too many PCP-spiked Coors Lites.

please explain your obsession with coors lite thanks

--
# Kurt H Maier